3 Things That Happen After Your Diet is Successful (CFC Opinion)

Two weeks ago, I was standing in a dressing room in Banana Republic, poised to buy a dress in a size much smaller than I’ve been accustomed to. How did I achieve this change you ask? I set some pretty big workout goals for this summer: (1) lower my body fat and (2) gain more muscle (particularly in my arms), which has generally been pretty hard for me to do. I was thrilled when the diet/workout plan worked! I got compliments from family, friends and co-workers. I was strutting my stuff in a smaller body and you couldn’t tell me NOTHIN’!

But as I stood in the dressing room holding up this super cute dress, a chill of self-doubt went through me. “What if I gain the weight back? Should I really buy this dress if it’s not going to fit in two months?”

It’s the same thought that stops me from having my clothes taken in or giving away clothes that are too big to Goodwill. And some of those same friends, family and co-workers had also already begun telling me: “Oh, it’s okay if you gain the weight back, you tried.” or “You look great but it’s going to be hard to maintain this, isn’t it?”

So all this got me thinking about diets and weight loss goals and what to do when you actually lose the weight you wanted to lose, or get the definition you were looking for. At that point you reach a crossroads -like I did in that dressing room- where you have to:

1. Celebrate Your Success!
You achieved your fitness/health goals, so celebrate! Buy that outfit that you couldn’t fit into before or have that favorite suit/dress taken in and strut your stuff. Don’t let doubt about the future spoil the glory of the present!

2. Check Yourself.
Now that you’ve celebrated, really ask yourself: How serious are you about making this diet/exercise regimen a lifestyle? A long-term thing? If you’re not, then you’ll easily fall back into the old patterns and likely gain the weight back/lose the muscle. If you’re really serious, then think about your current fitness success as a milestone, not the finish line.

3. Set a New Goal!
I’ve decided to set some new goals! I’m going to try a different workout to shake things up (maybe pilates or yoga- eek! I’m not that flexible!) and I’m going to commit to some new changes to my diet. So, ask yourself: What am I going to do to get to the next level?

*** How do you stay motivated after you reach your fitness goals? ***

-CFC

P.S. I got the dress, and it looks fabulous. 😉

CFC Fitness Tip: When’s the Best Time for Women to Workout?

Advertisements

About ChicFitChef

My "deserted island" checklist: a BCBG dress, a healthy & diabetic-friendly meal and a few workout DVDs. ;-)
This entry was posted in Food & Fit Tips and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to 3 Things That Happen After Your Diet is Successful (CFC Opinion)

1. I’ve set new goals, and I’ve also decided to step away from the scale. Your weight will fluctuate a bit, but while you might be 3 pounds up, you may have lost another inch around your waist! The body is amazing and I’m trying to appreciate ALL the changes.

2. jfgemini says:

This post comes right on time for me. I am facing the same fears in dealing with my new body. I am deathly afraid of gaining weight back and it’s giving me lots of anxiety. I have still been keeping up with my workouts , though and eating as best as I could. However, I fear with every morsel that I ingest, that I will gain weight and no workout is or will be effective enough. It’s a process and I am sure I will find a balance soon enough.

3. Heatheresq says:

Oh girl! I wish weight gain fear kept me from shopping etc. I never buy stuff that fits. All my new clothes are my skinny, inspirational clothes. Now I just gotta get in em!

4. jfgemini says:

I am been experiencing the same anxieties. I have been totally worried about gaining weight back and it’s becoming a bit of an unhealthy obsession. No workout seems as though it’ll be effective enough, and every morsel of food is poised to make me gain all the weight back.
    I have still be working out, though, and eating right, so it’s just a matter of finding the right balance.

• ChicFitChef says:

I totally hear you! There is this looming fear that I’m not going to be able to maintain the success I’ve had. At the same time, I think when you set new (and different!) goals it helps. I’m all about trying to become more flexible and toned now & keeping up with a healthy diet. If my body continues to change for the better then I feel like I’m okay with that, even if the numbers on the scale change.

5. jfgemini says:

I must say that Jennifer Hudson has thoroughly impressed me, with her ability to maintain her weight loss; I should use her for inspiration.

6. charlotteamy says:

I’d suggest buying clothes that are versatile. Don’t buy expensive dresses tight around the stomach, as you will eventually have a bit larger stomach from childbirth and turning 35 or 40. Also, at a certain age, you’ll be “doing too much.” There are many cute clothes that show your curves and hide your stomach, so I’d stay in that lane. It’s more realistic and age-appropriate as you mature. – Charlotte Amy (www.blackandbrownesq.com)

• ChicFitChef says:

Wow, um depressing much? If my post about “Pregnancy and Fitness” proves nothing else, it’s that having a baby or being over 35 is not the “End” of having a hot body! Check out Tania’s story on the homepage. 😉

7. doctorjeangray says:

Hello Chicfitchef! Thanks for another inspiring blog post. I wholeheartedly agree… there is no magic curse that besets us at age 35, with childbearing, after marriage, or whatever other excuses we use to keep us from being our best. There is nothing “eventual” about obesity or weight gain, just a choice we make. Weight will fluctuate. The key to maintaining our best bodies for a lifetime is to keep that fluctuation within a very very narrow range. The tightness in our pants is not a cause to panic. On the contrary, this is very good information that we can use to calmly and methodically re-calibrate our efforts… like tuning a dial. Just say no to fat pants, skinny pants, and in-between pants! Thanks again for the excellent post.

• ChicFitChef says:

Thanks for your comment JeanGray! I agree that it’s important to accept that your weight will fluctuate, but try to make those fluctuations small by maintaining a sustainable diet/exercise routine. I’m so glad that you enjoy the blog and (if you haven’t already) I hope you’ll become an email subscriber on the homepage!! -CFC

8. Pingback: What is Model my Diet? « Deb's Answers

9. Pingback: Ramadan is almost over, almost time to diet. | UMKHALOODIE

10. Pingback: 3 Fun Facts about Endorphins: The Ultimate Natural Anti-Depressant | ChicFitChef

11. Pingback: Making Treadmills Fun, Celeb Fit Trends & Lacey Stone (CFC Spotlight Thursdays) | ChicFitChef™

12. Pingback: When Your Bridesmaid Dress Doesn’t Fit (3 Tips to Fitting In) | ChicFitChef™